Many years ago, when I was coming out of a down period in my life, I did a lot of hard thinking about the sort of life I wanted, where I wanted to be and what I wanted to do. I still have the scrap book of inspirational pictures I collected at that time. It’s amazing how many of those goals have come to fruition, plus some others that I couldn’t even have dreamed about!
Are you one of those fortunate people who has already discovered many of your passions? Do you spend much of your time enjoying the things that bring you excitement and joy? Or are you still waiting to discover which activities, skills, and interests will truly inspire you?
It takes time, soul-searching, and some life experience to identify your truest passions. Here are some prompts to guide you to explore your wants, needs, desires, and fantasies. Have fun with them and discover what you can add to your life that will fill it with delight. Set your sights high but then focus on the art of the possible. Start by making just one change.
1. What’s the one thing I’ve always wanted to do? Consider what would need to happen in order for you to carry through with this long-sought wish. Make a plan and get started.
2. If I could spend today doing whatever I desire, what would it be? Let your mind go. It could be something related to your work, your home, or simply a lark.
3. Where do I really want to live? What city and what type of residence? Perhaps you’re already fulfilling this passion and you do live in your true first choice. If not, ponder the possibilities of moving to a place you’ll love.
4. Where would I like to visit? Perhaps you’re harbouring a secret yearning to visit Machu Picchu or Westminster Abbey in London. The streets of Hong Kong may be calling your name or the Grand Canyon. Can you make it happen?
5. What do I talk about doing but never do? In a conversation, you might state something like, “For the last 10 years, I’ve really wanted to take a cruise to the Caribbean.”
6. What are the reasons I don’t go after my dreams? Explore within yourself why you haven’t pursued the life you want. Can you do something differently to help bring your dreams to life?
7. How will I finish the sentence, “More than anything, before I die, I want to ___________?” Say it out loud and fill in the blank. Then, work out a way to accomplish your wish.
8. What are the things in my life that I would like to get rid of? If you’re discovering you don’t love everything about your life, maybe it’s time to do some ‘house keeping’. Make a list of the ways you’d like your life to change.
9. Which people in my life inspire me and why? It’s important to know who inspires you so you can spend more time with them. What is it about them that lights you up so much? Decide to take every step to be inspired more often.
10. If I were to make just one radical change in my life right now to make life better, what would it be? Your answer to this question will really open up your possibilities. Moving to a bigger city might really spice up your life. Getting more education might be a goal — plus you might end up making more money.
11. How do I feel when I put all my effort into accomplishing one of my goals? Notice these feelings. You’ll no doubt want to experience them more often.
12. How do I feel whenever I achieve a life goal? Awesome, probably.
13. What’s missing from my life? Answering this question requires considerable soul-searching.
14. Who are my biggest supporters? It’s wise to know the people that will stand behind you and help you pursue your passions, no matter what.
15. Who gets in the way of me achieving my goals? In order to find your true passions, you might be required to disengage from those who wish to counteract your efforts.
If you take the time to think about each of these questions in some detail, you’ll be pleased with what you discover. Your truest passions are inside you, just waiting to be let loose to bring you excitement, joy, and fulfillment.